July 30, 2018- Journalists at The Cannon Beach Gazette and its sister publications recently earned a number of honors in the annual Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association contest.
• R.J. Marx, editor of the Cannon Beach Gazette and Gazette, won second place for his editorials and columns.
• The Gazette won second place for design, and the Signal third.
• Brenna Visser and Katie Frankowicz won second place in business coverage for Help Wanted, about the struggle of North Coast employers to find workers.
• Elleda Wilson won first place, best local column, for In One Ear.
• Erick Bengel won second place, best local column, for Scratch Pad.
• Frankowicz won third place, general feature story, for Trail of Discovery, about hikers ditching the Pacific Crest Trail in favor of the Oregon Coast Trail.
• Frankowicz also took third place in lifestyle coverage for Sturgeon Bonanza, about fishermen flocking to the river for a rare short season.
• The Daily Astorian staff won first place, special section or issue, for the 2017 edition of Our Coast Magazine, and second place in the same category for its commemoration of the 10th anniversary of the Great Coastal Gale of 2007.
Newspapers belonging to the EO Media Group — the parent company of The Daily Astorian — took home dozens of ONPA honors. The East Oregonian, Blue Mountain Eagle and Capital Press all won the general excellence awards in their respective divisions, and the Wallowa County Chieftain third.
Another local Clatsop County newspaper, the Columbia Press, won four second-place awards in a different circulation category — best coverage of business and economic news, best local column, best government coverage and best overall writing.